Hey friends! I’m back, and today I want to talk about something that was one of the biggest milestones for me after being diagnosed with diabetes: using insulin for the first time. If you’ve been there, you probably know what a wild experience it can be. And if you’re new to it or just curious, well, let me take you through what it was like for me!
The Moment I Realized Insulin Was My New Reality
After my diagnosis, I remember sitting in the doctor’s office, still in shock, as they explained what my life would look like from now on. Among all the new information I was bombarded with, insulin stood out as this huge, scary thing. I knew it was going to be a part of my life forever, but I just couldn’t wrap my head around it.
I mean, before diabetes, the idea of injecting myself with anything was terrifying. I’d avoid shots at all costs – flu shots, vaccines, you name it. So, the thought of giving myself insulin multiple times a day felt like something I wasn’t ready for. But I had no choice.
My First Injection: Nerves, Shaking Hands, and... Relief?
The day came when I had to do my first insulin injection on my own. Up until then, the nurse had shown me how to do it, explaining how to pinch the skin, insert the needle at the right angle, and slowly push the insulin in. It looked simple enough when someone else was doing it, but when it was just me and the needle at home… different story!
I remember sitting there for what felt like hours, staring at the insulin pen in my hand. My heart was racing, my palms were sweaty, and my mind was filled with a thousand "what if" questions: What if I did it wrong? What if it hurt? What if I hit the wrong spot? I was so scared of that tiny little needle.
After a lot of hesitation and a mini pep talk to myself, I took a deep breath, pinched the skin on my stomach, and pushed the needle in. And you know what? It wasn’t nearly as bad as I had imagined! Sure, my hands were still shaking, but it was over in seconds, and there wasn’t even much pain.
The Aftermath: Feeling Proud... and a Little Weird
The weirdest part of the whole experience wasn’t the injection itself – it was how I felt afterward. On one hand, I felt incredibly proud of myself for doing it. It felt like a victory, like I had just faced one of my biggest fears head-on and came out on the other side.
But on the other hand, there was this strange realization that this was my new normal. I was going to have to do this every day, multiple times a day, for the rest of my life. That hit me harder than I expected. There were moments when I felt like I was mourning my old life, the one where I didn’t have to think about blood sugar levels or carry insulin everywhere I went.
Learning to Embrace It
Over time, the injections got easier. It’s amazing how quickly your body and mind can adapt to something that initially feels so overwhelming. Now, giving myself insulin is just part of my routine – like brushing my teeth or making breakfast. I still have days when it feels frustrating or annoying, but those moments are balanced out by how grateful I am for modern medicine. Without insulin, I wouldn’t be able to live the active and full life I do now.
If you’re reading this and you’re about to start insulin, or you’re still adjusting to it, I want you to know that it gets easier. That first injection is always the hardest, but once you’ve done it, you’ll realize you’re stronger than you think. It doesn’t mean the journey will be without bumps – trust me, I’ve had my share of high and low blood sugars, bad injection sites, and moments where I just wanted to scream – but it becomes manageable.
A Little Advice for First-Timers
If you’re about to use insulin for the first time, here’s my advice:
- Take your time. It’s okay to feel scared or nervous. Go slow, and don’t pressure yourself to get it perfect right away.
- Ask for help. Whether it’s your doctor, a nurse, or even a friend who’s been through it, don’t hesitate to reach out for guidance or support.
- Be kind to yourself. Adjusting to a new way of life isn’t easy, and you’re allowed to have days where it feels hard.
- Celebrate the small wins. Every time you inject insulin, every time you manage your blood sugar, that’s a win. Be proud of yourself for learning and growing!
Thanks for sticking around to hear about my first experience with insulin. I hope my story can help someone out there who’s feeling the same nerves I did. You’re not alone in this, and trust me, if I can do it, so can you!
With love,
Aviva Miriam


0 komentar:
Posting Komentar